Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Foundation Layers: Black Pair o' Bodies & Red Petticoat

***

A peak into the underwear drawer...

So I was taking some photos for another big "Mix & Match" (teaser for a future post), when I realized that I don't have many --if any--  photos of what I'm wearing these days as foundation garments.

So here they are!

Over the linen smock are my trusty black pair o' bodies and a red wool petticoat (with black worsted wool guards).

The bodies are loosely based on the 1598 "Dorothea" bodies, but adapted for front lacing.  The pattern was once the Tudor Tailor (but has been altered significantly) and is constructed in the same way as my earlier grey linen bodies.



(Well, now I'm certainly regretting not ironing my smock 
before deciding to take photos of it!)

The bodies are worn with a red petticoat and a small-ish bum roll.  The petticoat was (once upon a time) a part of my petticoat bodies...

...however the bodice never really fit properly, so some years ago the skirt was removed and converted into a stand-alone petticoat (with knife pleats rather than cartridge pleats).




The petticoat works well enough as an undergarment, but the pleats on the sides bulge awkwardly, so I'm considering re-pleating it to a waistband for use as a visible skirt (if and when the need arises).




And that's it!

A little mini-update until I've got the rest of the up-coming post photographed and written up.

***

1 comment: