Saturday, June 8, 2024

Red Kirtle: Medieval Mix & Match

*** 


Another attempt at "Medieval Cosplay"!
But this time with my new red kirtle.

I know basically nothing about clothing pre-1500, so this is very much me playing historical Dress Up...

But I do love this ridiculous bycocket hat (originally made for a similar attempt at styling my blue kirtle) and will take advantage of any opportunity to wear it.


The base of the outfit is my new red kirtle, which is adapted from a bodice pattern that I've basically been using forever (but with sleeves and more shaped skirts taken from "The Queen's Servants").

This is paired with the above mentioned bycocket hat, a simple linen yard square, a white silk sash, and a pair of rust coloured 3/4 length wool sleeves.


And that's it!  A pretty simple, but very silly and fun, outfit.

As I've mentioned before, I love this veil style. I think it's super flattering around the face.
And despite this bodice being quite a bit shorter than other iterations I've made, the sash creates the optical illusion of an elongated torso, and the A-line nature of this combination (from the hat and veil right down to the flared skirts) makes for a very elegant silhouette. 

Or at least I think so.

And let's be honest, it's as close as I'm going to get to a stereotypical  "princess dress" and so I am totally here for it!



***



***

Resources & Materials

Pattern:  
-The Tudor Tailor (book and/or ready-made pattern...but really, the bodice is mostly self drafted at this point)
-The Queen's Servants (book and/or ready-made pattern)

Fabric:
-Red wool from B.Blacks & Sons
-Rust wool from Dorr Mill
-White "Judy" linen (5.5oz)  Gray Line Linen
-Red "Judy" linen (5.5oz)  Gray Line Linen
-Hemp/cotton muslin for interlining (10.5) from Hemp Traders
-Muslin for mockup (also from Hemp Traders, but any muslin should do)

Trim and Notions:
-Black cotton tape (1/4")  for lacing from WM Booth Draper

Thread:
-Red silk thread
-Black silk thread
-White cotton thread (silk finish) for linens

Boning:
-7mm Plastic coated spring steel bones (4) from Vena Cava Design
-7mm Synthetic whalebone also from Vena Cava Design

Other Supplies:
-Red felt hat blank from Amazon
-Swedish pattern paper from Amazon. (This stuff is great! You can iron it!)
-Pattern weights

No comments:

Post a Comment