Thursday, February 3, 2022

Black Linen Pair o' Bodies

***
Let's take a trip back in time!
I've got quite a few outfits and/or pieces of outfits that I've completed over the last few the years but which --for one reason or another-- I've never documented.

So let's start with a mini-post for my new (read: not at all new) Pair o' Bodies!



I'm not sure when this photo dates to...probably some time between late 2017 and early 2019.
(I mean, just look at that innocent young thing! She has no idea what's coming!)

The pattern is pretty similar to my original grey bodies in that both use the boning pattern inspired by the Pfalzgrafin Dorothea Sabina von Neuburg bodies (but adapted for front lacing in a way that is very, VERY anachronistic and wrong). 
However there are a few notable differences; the bust boning pattern is a little more shallow and back pieces have been altered to follow the same curve as my unboned petticoat bodies.



Now, I could not tell you for the life of me why I made any of these changes.
Were the grey bodies uncomfortable? Did pull or pinch in any way?

I have no idea. 
I honestly cannot remember...but if I had to guess I'd say that I simply wanted a black support garment to go with the black fitted gown I was making for 12th Night, 2018.  But more on that later...

***

Resources & Materials

Pattern:  
-The Tudor Tailor (book and/or ready-made pattern)

Fabric:
-Black "Judy" Linen (5.5oz) from Gray Line Linen
-Hemp/Cotton twill (10.5oz) and Hemp/Cotton "suede" (10.5oz)  from Hemp Traders
-Muslin for mockup (also from Hemp Traders, but any muslin should do)

Thread & Lacing:
-Black silk buttonhole thread (for eyelets)
-Black cotton thread
-Narrow black ribbon

Boning:
-7mm Plastic coated spring steel bones (4) from Vena Cava Design
-5mm Synthetic whalebone (about 10 meters) also from Vena Cava Design

Other Supplies:
-Swedish pattern paper from Amazon. (This stuff is great! You can iron it!)
-Pattern weights
-Blue washable fabric marker
-Tapered tailor's awl
-3/4" Bias tape maker
-Eyelet tape 
-Small bulldog clips

No comments:

Post a Comment